It's typical in November, with Thanksgiving and all, to make lists of things we are thankful for, but I especially need to focus on the things I'm thankful for right now because it's been an overwhelming past couple of weeks. This time of year at school always seems to get crazy...in the winding down of first semester there are lots of school events, special assemblies, cumulative tests and projects, extra requirements from the administration, deadlines, and it's National French Week next week. We start basketball season next week, too, with two games a week on top of practice with the cheer squad. Last night I had a bit of a meltdown, mainly because I am weary. Exhausted. Burned out. Thank goodness for the light at the end of a swirling tunnel: Thanksgiving and Christmas break. It's in times like these that I have to force myself to focus on the good...on God's grace and sovereignty and purpose for my life...because it's easy to become negative. Making lists of thankfulness gives the right perspective, immediately. It's like magic. Today, at the end of a regular old Thursday at school, I am thankful for the small things:
1. watching my French Club students pour over National French Week decorations to be hung this Saturday
2. a birthday dinner with family two nights ago
3. Netflix at the end of a long day
4. peppermint coffee this morning
5. an encouraging email from a cheer parent
6. a birthday card from a fellow teacher
7. Peyton's morning cheerfulness
8. Chick-fil-a for lunch
9. a re-organized desk
10. a messy costume closet in my classroom...messy from lots of use
11. a hard conversation with one of my cheerleaders
12. hot tea for a sore throat
13. a quiet off-period
It's way too easy for me to write off a difficult day as a "bad" one. But look at all that good.
No comments:
Post a Comment