This past Wednesday I was up at school working on grading finals and wrapping things up, and Peyton stopped by with a letter and one of my favorite drinks from Starbucks. In the letter were instructions for the night to come, including time and dress, and news that we in fact were NOT going to be attending our weekly financial class at church. The minute I read it I had a hunch for what was in store, but I had no clue what we would be doing that night.
All dressed-up, we headed downtown to eat at Ashley's in The Capitol Hotel. Neither of us had ever experienced a restaurant with multiple palette-cleansers and a wine list that spanned 25 pages, and it was so much fun to explore together. I tried foie-gras for the first time (hated it, actually...tasted like gelatinous brown fat), and he tried rabbit for the first time. I felt like an absolute princess!
After 2 and 1/2 hours of ooing and ahhing, we got back into the car and drove to one of our friend's farms just outside of Little Rock. Peyton had had a couple of his friends go ahead of us and start a bonfire, which was huge by the time we drove up! Next to the fire was a hay bale, a big real Christmas tree donned with 8 dozen red and white roses (like ornaments!), and a large gift box underneath. I was so surprised! We sat down by the fire, and when I opened the box I realized that it was a box that held many other smaller boxes...each of which had a letter with a verse and note from Peyton. As I read through the letters I was overwhelmed. The written word has always been the way to my heart, and I could not stop the tears. Then, when I got to the last box, there was a ring box. I realized that the ring box was empty upon opening it, and at that point Peyton took out the real ring box and asked me to marry him. I said yes, of course!
Still in shock!
I will always cherish those boxes!
A sweet engagement gift from my mom
"Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."
Psalm 34:8
I could not be more happy for you, Linds!!! Your story fills my heart with joy for both you and Peyton!! God is good. Who would have known that you moving back to Little Rock to teach was all part of God's plan in bringing you and Peyton together :) So cool! Love you!!! -Riss
ReplyDeleteStill so excited for you and can't believe "little Lindsey" is getting married! It was so fun reading your story here. Thanks for posting! Enjoy these most memorable times!
ReplyDeleteJessica Collie Jones